Apr 30, 2012

Don’t be a media snob

It always surprises me (god knows why after this long) when a client tells me they don’t watch TV or read anything banal like USA Today. But yet they want to be on all those programs “Get me on Ellen!” in order to further their message. (Or for the narcissists just to get famous. More on that later) You can’t be a media snob if you want to reach the mainstream.

One of the most important things  to do if you want to use public relations as a marketing tool is get to know the ENTIRE media landscape. Not just the things you like to read, watch or hear but the things MOST people like. That also means watching or reading all the commercials in between too. I think there’s a general snottiness that prevails with people who only read the New York Times or listen to MPR. Listen –  those are great outlets don’t get me wrong. But the things most people watch or read include USA Today, Extreme Home Makeover, the Biggest Loser, Keeping up with the Kardashians, American Idol and your local morning shock jock. You don’t have to like them…you just have to keep tabs on them.

If you really think a show or publication is right for your message or business, watch it religiously for a while. Read it for a good two months. Even if you have a publicist you’ll help generate ideas that might work. Years ago a client laughed at me for suggesting the Montel Williams show. I made her watch it four times and she came up with an awesome angle. She got on and promptly sold out of her product.

Know who your client is and watch or read what THEY ingest. Do this for three months before you start making recommendations or going after PR . You’ll be a much smarter client if you do have a publicist . If you don’t have a publicist you probably won’t sound like an idiot the first time you contact that producer or writer.

8 comments on “Don’t be a media snob”

1. If you put yourself on a pedestal, you can’t identify with clients.

If that means suffering through Big Brother, so be it.

May 1st, 2012 at 9:06 am

2. I can’t even watch that one for more than five minutes. :)

May 1st, 2012 at 10:35 am

3. It seems counter-intuitive to watch some of these shows for intellectual reasons but the culture lesson does make a big difference on your abilities to relate to clientele.

May 2nd, 2012 at 9:03 am

4. Thanks for the marvelous posting! I definitely enjoyed reading it, you happen to be a great author.I will be sure to bookmark your blog and will eventually come back later in life. I want to encourage you to definitely continue your great posts, have a nice morning!

May 3rd, 2012 at 11:37 pm

5. I agree to this. If you are looking for a good publicity, there is no better way in “appearing” to the clients than going to their media hunger. Surely, hearing you out is good but it’s better if they actually see you. Anything that can catch the clients eye is a sure bet that they would think of your ad. As we all know, television is the greatest past time of hmmmm… all. Be flexible in the field of media and always have a good time.

May 11th, 2012 at 4:15 am

6. These days everyone catch something whatever you are doing on social media and hence this can put more clients in your era.

May 11th, 2012 at 6:40 am

7. You can’t be a good parent if you are a pop culture snob either. Sure, watching Jersey Shore, Laguna Beach, Hannah Montana, Glee, Sixteen and Pregnant, He-Man, SpongeBob, Ren and Stimpy, etc (did that span 1985-2012?) is painful to the adult eyes and ears, but these are the media the kids are/were watching. (I don’t know what the U18 crowd watches any more, I no longer have to really care except it would be fun to tease my peers at group lunch over Jell-O)

You don’t have to like this stuff. You can even be horrified by it. But you can’t ignore it.

May 23rd, 2012 at 11:42 am

8. Good point about watching what THEY watch to make sure their little heads aren’t filled with…sugary cereal commercials perhaps?

May 23rd, 2012 at 11:46 am