Aug 16, 2011

Flash forward 20 years

What will my life be like in 20 years? I’m laughing at the topic of this week’s #letsblogoff because I’ve been reading all kinds of “surviving 50″ and “hiring aging workers” reporter queries. I assume they’re all in their thirties or early forties at most so they’re hearing horror stories about the big 5-0. (Which I will turn in about two months yippee!)

But aging aside, I will put on my “Madame Bon” turban, gaze into my PR crystal ball and give you my prediction:

• We’re in a digital transformation that, just like the industrial revolution, will slow down soon. Although I think most technology will be virtual I don’t know if we’ll have THAT much more communications capability.
  • Physically we’ll be in much better health and I believe we will have averted the obesity crisis thanks to my sister’s work at Yale’s Rudd Center.
  • Stem cell therapy will give us all much better joint health so you’ll see many more 70-year old runners and yoga enthusiasts. (I plan to be one of them.)
  • Spiritually I think we’ll all be working in  much more collective, collaborative ways…all supported by technology.

As for me I hope to be here in 20 years but frankly I’m surprised I made it this far so hitting 70 seems like a lot to ask. If I have “graduated” to heaven by then, I promise to haunt @dogwalkblog‘s editor and scare the pants off him when he’s shaving in the morning.

13 comments on “Flash forward 20 years”

1. Now we just need to teach @gerardmclean how to shave! :-)

August 16th, 2011 at 10:11 am

2. Ummmmm, any particular reason you want to scare the pants off the dog walk guy? Hey, don’t feel bad about the age thing. I have every confidence that I’ve got the “Oldest Dude Blogging on This Subject” trophy nailed to the floor. I’m 66! Twenty years hence I’ll be happy for good health and the continued love of my wife.

August 16th, 2011 at 11:29 am

3. He’s scaring me now in real life, so I figure it will be payback, afterlife style. :)

I feel great about the age thing don’t you?

August 16th, 2011 at 11:32 am

4. or wax…perhaps a total manscape is in order. :)

August 16th, 2011 at 11:33 am

5. Real men don’t manscape :-)

August 16th, 2011 at 1:08 pm

6. Well, I feel good about the age thing in that I’m still here! Truthfully, though, I am very glad I am 66 and not 26 because I do NOT think the young generation is going to have an easy time of it. I am very pessimistic about where I see the country going. As for the rest… could have done better, could have done worse. But I did all right. And I am blessed with a fantastic marriage. 35 years as of last Sunday, and I can still describe the relationship in a single word: FUN!

August 16th, 2011 at 1:46 pm

7. I’ll be 54 by the end of the year and my consulting business continues to keep me very busy. (Not PR, I’m a CPA working with startups and IPO stage companies.). I laugh when people my junior are less computer-savvy than I am. I find tech easy but the current accounting environment is in such flux it’s almost painful.

20 years from now is a bit scary. I have degenerative spinal problems and my mom has Alzheimer’s. I’m trying to cram as much travel in now as I can because every year it becomes more challenging to travel the way I want. But,20 years is a long time…there’s lots of research going on…I view my medical issues as a challenge to work around, not a full stop. and Mom’s Alzheimer’s didn’t become problematic til she was in her mid 70s…so….bring it on! The alternative SUX!

August 16th, 2011 at 8:33 pm

8. Will be happy if everything works well. Hoping for things better in the coming years…

August 19th, 2011 at 5:44 am

9. I honestly believe that our life in 20 years will be so transformed by technology that we will barely be able to recognize ourselves compared to where we are today. In unimaginable ways.. some of them you brought up like the eventual rise of nanotech (from stem cell research, etc).

But as Ray Kurzweil says, 30 years ago a computer took up a building, and now they fit in our pocket. 20 years down the line they will fit in our bloodstreams…..

August 19th, 2011 at 1:36 pm

10. Not sure I’m ready to have them in my bloodstream!

August 19th, 2011 at 7:18 pm

11. Biotech engineering for the win.

September 9th, 2011 at 2:45 pm

12. Can imagine what I’d be like in 20 years, most probably on a world tour :) Its really a great pleasure visiting this blog and this post certainly made me consider what all new additions I have to add.

October 23rd, 2011 at 12:44 pm

13. 30 years ago a computer took up a building, and now they fit in our pocket. 20 years down the line they will fit in our bloodstreams…

May 8th, 2012 at 3:01 pm