Mar 18, 2010

I feel the need…the need for speed

topgun2I was sitting here wondering when a marketing person was going answer my email (from two days ago) when it occurred to me that  traditionalists will have to add a sense of urgency to their worklife in order to survive. I came out of sales where response to request timing was everything. But when I started working with other publicists and marketing folks I realized that isn’t always the norm. Okay I understand when you’re working with books that get released 6-8 months after you’ve sent the galleys out for review. Or when you’re developing brand images with focus groups, etc. All those things move at a snail’s pace (at least to me).

A sense of urgency in response can no longer be reserved to the daily print reporters and local TV folks, or for breaking news. Folks, we’re living in an extemporaneous, real-time conversation world now. Getting back to someone three days later -or never- isn’t gonna cut it. I work with quite a few partners in what I do, whether it’s web design, marketing, writers, etc. Guess what – the blogger that answers my email or tweet the same day I send it is going to get my business. The one that answers me within an hour – they will always move to the top of the heap. And I think my clients feel the same way, and have felt that way long before the social media “engagement” craze started.

Look, I’m not asking you sew a Blackberry into your bra. But the days of taking days to answer messages are over. And the traditionalist publicists and marketing folks better learn that or they might end up like poor Goose.

12 comments on “I feel the need…the need for speed”

1. All this time I’ve been sewing my blackberry to my bra and NOW I learn that it’s not expected of me? I guess that means I can stop sleeping with it too.

I’m with you on this 100%; I’ve parted ways with writers who would take 2 days to respond to an email. I don’t expect people to jump on whatever I’m asking for immediately, but an email to say “I’ll look into it and get back to you” or “I’ll work on this in the morning” goes a long way.

Any clients I’ve going ongoing projects happening with; I also make a point to provide a warning if I’m going to be uncommunicative for a period of time. During those rare moments where my blackberry or laptop aren’t surgically attached and I’m unable to respond, I think it’s just a courtesy.

I’ll admit that when it’s a phone call, I’m not always quite as prompt if it’s not urgent, because that can be a bigger time drain. If I’m available, absolutely – otherwise it’s a prompt email to arrange a good time for both of us to chat.

Lack of communication is a major pet peeve of mine. In any partership, it’s just gotta be there! Bravo!!

March 18th, 2010 at 1:34 pm

2. nice thanks

March 20th, 2010 at 5:24 am

3. It is OK to sew a Blackberry into a bra, but then remember too that bras need to be taken off at times. What I meant is that we need to prioritize what need immediate attention. I check my inbox for as long as a notification pops up on my screen and I make sure I read new emails, but I would prioritize which email I need to answer. That way, I would not mess up with my time answering something that’s not necessarily important at the moment.

March 21st, 2010 at 1:55 pm

4. Great point – you can get sucked into the ‘urgent non-important’ stuff pretty easily and that can be as bad as no sense of urgency!

March 21st, 2010 at 2:12 pm

5. It’s really very informative and useful post.thanks for sharing this useful information with us.keep blogging. Looking forward to reading your nest post. Thanks a lot.

March 23rd, 2010 at 1:29 pm

6. I couldn’t agree more. Rapid response time (in any communication) is vital in spreading positive word of mouth advertising about a business.

It is hard to beat comments such as “I can always get through to them directly on the ‘phone”, or “they answer my emails within the hour”.Companies that I hear these kind of positive comments about are always the ones that I choose to deal with.

March 23rd, 2010 at 4:38 pm

7. I think email truly has revolutionized communication as well. It’s now possible to get back to people promptly. With the phone, there’s always that risk that when you call the other person won’t answer, or they’ll call you back during the only 5 minutes you moved from your desk all day, picked up another phone call, or got into a groove on a project. I think because of the time commitment with phone, it used to be a great excuse for delayed response time. With email, I don’t there is ever a good reason not to answer within the course of an hour or two in most circumstances.

Good point on prioritizing!!

March 25th, 2010 at 3:04 pm

8. Prioritizing is the key ! your post was a nice read.

btw, the tom cruise tom gun photo is a nice touch :)

warm wishes,
    Stephan

March 27th, 2010 at 10:55 am

9. I agree with Stephan, that photo of Tom Cruise really ads something very suggestive to this post ;)

October 7th, 2010 at 1:59 am

10. Looking at this top gun photo takes me way back… remembering the good old times.. heh!

All the best,
    Steven

January 30th, 2011 at 6:25 am

11. Yes, Top Gun truly was an amazing movie. Just seen it a few days ago, again! I think i have seen in 10 times in total.

Rachel

April 4th, 2011 at 10:34 am

12. Top gun.. one of the best movies, 100% one of my top 10 favorites.

August 25th, 2011 at 12:44 am